Finding Settlement Assistance

When you are ready to immigrate to Canada there will be many things to do. For example, you may need to find employment for yourself or schooling for your children. In a new country these tasks might be unfamiliar to you and help is available to you. In the bigger cities such as Lethbridge there are immigrant serving agencies who can assist you with these tasks by providing general information.

The Alberta Association of Immigrant Serving Agencies
This agency lists all of the settlement services that cities across Alberta offer to new immigrants. It also provides some information about living in Alberta and links to various government and employment websites.

The local Family and Community Support Services (FCSS)
FCSS is an organization that has a funding partnership with the provincial government and distributes those funds in the community on preventative social programs. The groups and organizations that seek funding must meet a set of criteria and help to improve the quality of living in the community. Members of this committee are volunteers in the community and have an extensive network. By visiting your local FCSS office you can meet these individuals and seek their help with certain settlement issues such as where your child can play his/her favourite sport or where your family can go to meet others in the community.

The Municipal District Office or Municipal Administration Building
Your local town office may also be able to provide you with some basic information about your new community. For example, most communities offer a welcome package to newcomers (whether you are Canadian born or a new immigrant) which may include a local telephone book, information about sporting facilities, discount coupons at local stores, an overview of town history and a local map.