Town of Nanton
Population: 2,181 (2021)
Known for its friendly residents and small town comforts, Nanton is, as its sign reads, a place where history lives. Downtown is an area rich with heritage and history. Visitors only need take the Antique & Art Walk to see how the region’s past is reflected in many of the town’s local businesses. Browse shops filled with unique artisan crafts, gifts and antiques, pause for lunch at one of Nanton’s quaint restaurants or visit the many parks, campgrounds or golf course.
Many of the town’s local attractions offer a look back into the region’s history as well. Alberta’s farming heritage comes alive at the Nanton Grain Elevators – a landmark telling the story of local pioneer farmers. The Bomber Command Museum honours the Canadians who served in the Bomber Command during World War II.
The region is also home to numerous opportunities for recreation. Take a stroll along the wonderful pathways, around ponds and parks. Golfers will love the Nanton Golf Club, or visitors can try their hand at the new 18 basket disc golf course!
Located along the major transportation corridor between Calgary and Lethbridge, Nanton has seen significant residential and business growth in recent years. Here, peaceful established neighbourhoods boast tree-lined yards and continued economic growth brings new commercial and employment opportunities. Businesses including 2W Livestock Equipment Ltd., Mountain Top Foods Ltd. and Nanton Water and Soda Ltd. already call this town home – but Nanton happily welcomes new commercial enterprises and entrepreneurs as well.
- Nanton was named after Sir Augustus Nanton (1860-1925), a Winnipeg-based stockbroker who financed farms and ranches throughout Western Canada.
- The current Visitor Information Centre sits on the former Railway Station grounds; learn the story of the infamous 1907 train robbery in which it was deemed that "all parties behaved properly" and no charges were laid!
Town of Nanton Links
- StatsCan Community Profile
- Nanton Promotional Video
- Nanton Business Directory
- Nanton Community Events Calendar
- Nanton News